Sacramento READS! is proud of what they've done this year to articulate the need in each community and implement local solutions.
SUMMER LEARNING SUMMIT
They have collaborated with UC Davis Summer Matters, where together with the Sacramento County Office of Education they sponsored a Summer Learning Summit. Over 100 practitioners from around the region attended and participated in workshops, and there were guest speakers from the county office as well as the CA Department of Education. Partnership with Summer Matters has allowed Sacramento READS! to do meaningful work improving summer learning in Sacramento.
It has been a busy year for Sacramento Reads, as they support the amazing work and programming of their local community partners. The goal of this collaboration is to lift up and highlight the direct service work that will move the needle within Sacramento.
- August 23, 2012 | 2nd Annual Celebration of Literacy Fair, over 1,800 community members participated in the one day event. Sacramento Press.com Article
- September 2012 | First kindergarten readiness assessment administrated in Sacramento County efforts lead by First 5 Sacramento and Sacramento READS! Results expected in early June.
- September 25, 2012 | $160,000 grant from Wells Fargo expands the collaboration and impact of Reading Partners and Sacramento READS! Wells Fargo Press Release
- November 13, 2012 | Mayor Johnson and Sacramento READS! receive Pacesetter Honors from the Nationwide Campaign for Grade-Level Reading Pace Setter Honors.
- December 5, 2012 | Annual Sacramento READS! California Standards Test (CST) data analysis complete.
- December 18, 2012 | Students First Holiday Book Drive, over 1,300 books collected and distributed to Sacramento READS! schools.
- December 20, 2012 | Dr. Celeste Roseberry McKibbin’s non-profit Talk, Love, Read donates 300 infant board books to Sacramento READS!
- January 9, 2013 | Mayor’s Gang Force Prevention Task Force Quarterly Meeting-Sacramento READS! and Reading Partners are noted as key partners in the school based literacy approach to deterring young students from entering into gangs.
- February 14, 2013 | Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency launch 3 by 8 is Great! This program directly supports the work of Sacramento READS! and the National Campaign for Grade Level Reading 3 by 8 is Great! Press Release
- February 28, 2013 | Mayor Johnson announces partnership with Vision To Learn at the 2013 State of the City Address Vision To Learn Announcement.
- March 1, 2013 | Sacramento City Council members join Mayor Johnson and Sacramento READS! to Celebrate Read Across America during the month of March.
- March 19, 2013 | National Conference of Black Mayors 1st Vice President and Education Chair Mayor Johnson rally against low literacy rates throughout the month of March. NCBM Literacy Rally
- April 1, 2013 | CISCO, Sacramento START, Scholastic and Sacramento READS! partner on an innovative volunteer tutoring pilot at Ethel Baker Elementary, in Sacramento City Unified.
- April 17, 2013 | Sacramento City Unified School District holds community wide feedback session for their Attendance work plan based on data collected by the UC Davis Center for Regional Change. Attendance Brief
- May 22, 2013 | In partnership with UC Davis Summer Matters and the Sacramento County Office Of Education hosted a Summer Matters Summit for over 100 regional summer school practitioners. Summer Matters Invite
- June 9, 2013 | The Sacramento Public Library celebrates their annual Summer Reading Program, Reading is so Delicious! Web Announcement
- July 20, 2013 | The Sacramento Boys and Girls Club will welcome Ashford University alumni to participate in a local day of service. The Ashford volunteers will organize and level the Boys and Girls Club Library.
CELEBRATION OF LITERACY FAIR
As summer comes to a close, Sacramento READS! will hold their annual Celebration of Literacy Fair again. Last year in the fall, they had over 1800 families in attendance and hope to expand in 2013. Click here for photos.