February 26, 2015
This week’s news from the Network Communities Support Center includes:
- This week’s Bright Spot highlights how a community partnership, including the public schools and local housing authority, provides free preschool in a public housing complex in Topeka, Kansas. Read this week’s Bright Spot on the Huddle and check out the conversation underway in the comments. Is the public housing authority part of your GLR coalition?
- If your community has submitted a Notice of Intent to the Social Innovation Fund’s fifth funding competition, we invite you to join an online conversation with past SIF grantees. The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading will facilitate this conversation on Wednesday, February 25 at 1-2 p.m. ET. To attend, email Susanne Sparks at email@example.com and request registration information. The deadline to apply for a SIF grant is March 17, 2015, at 5 p.m. ET.
- Last week the GLR Campaign’s Successful Parents webinar shared approaches from Parents as Teachers that align dynamically with CGLR strategies, as well as video resources from Great Schools that help parents identify grade-appropriate reading milestones. View the slides, watch the recording and get the links on the Huddle’s webinar page.
- The latest addition to our Current Events discussion is an editorial by David Hammond, shared by Colorado state lead David Shapiro, encouraging businesses to support the healthy development of at-risk children, with links to high-quality child care programs. Join the discussion!
- Don’t forget that the Campaign’s Funder-to-Funder Huddle will be held April 23-24, prior to the Council on Foundations Annual Conference in San Francisco. The F2F Huddle is a great opportunity to meet other funders of grade-level reading efforts, share challenges and successes, learn from and with each other, and collectively drive toward bigger, stronger and better results. Read more on the Huddle.
Almost all links in this message go to items posted on the Huddle, a site for members of the Grade-Level Reading Network. Log in to comment on blogs and participate in groups. If you are not yet a member, become one by going to www.glrhuddle.org and selecting “Click here to join” in orange located in the upper right hand corner.